The healthcare industry is a prime target of hackers, and wound care is no exception. The importance of cybersecurity in healthcare is an essential consideration for all organizations handling patient data. There are many important facets to cybersecurity, which I will cover in a series of posts. Today, I want to provide you with seven startling statistics that paint a broad picture of the troubles in the cybersecurity field, along with some of the overall impact of cyber-attacks.
- 62% of businesses experienced phishing and social engineering attacks in 2018, according to Cybint Solutions.
- 68% of business leaders feel their cybersecurity risks are increasing, according to Accenture.
- Only 5% of companies’ folders are properly protected, on average, according to Varonis.
- Data breaches exposed 4.1 billion records in the first half of 2019, according to RiskBased.
- 52% of breaches featured hacking, 28% involved malware, 32% included phishing, and 33% linked to social engineering, according to Verizon.
- While overall ransomware infections were down 52%, enterprise infections were up by 12% in 2018, according to Symantec.
- The top malicious email attachment types are .doc and .dot which make up 37%, the next highest is .exe at 19.5%, according to Symantec.